Tuesday 21 December 2010

Merry Christmas to you all!

A lovely reader asked for a Christmas styled Border Oak home and so I searched my archives and found this - our home, decorated for Christmas three years ago! It was quite funny looking through the pics and seeing how the house and our decorations have changed - basically there are a lot less because 
a) I have no time to make all the little details and fun things and
b) Gabriel has no appreciation of 'seasonal interior arrangements'  - in his mind a bauble is a ball, a wreath is a throwing device, flowers are for eating and presents are for giving back to whoever gave it to you (I know, what kind of child doesn't like opening presents?!)
But I thought this may just get us in a festive mood.............

 The surprising thing is how well the landscaping has done over the last three years - the beech hedge at the front is now 4ft high and THICK! It all looks a bit sparse in this pic but in reality it is quite verdant! Well, it is currently under 7 inches of white fluff.


The hallway table has gone - but you can see my beloved Sophie Cook pots and the Cote Bastide jar I bought from a gorgeous shop call Igigi - in Hove. I think it has featured in a few Border Oak photo shoots! This is a prime example of what has changed - can you imagine Gabriel and a table of candles? OMG as a teenager would say.


 The sitting room is still pretty much the same as this - the tree is bigger and in a different position with a few more decorations (I like to buy one or two a year, last years polar bear and Mins home made angel are current favourites) Breakable stuff is at the top, the rest is fair game.


We have just moved the kitchen table around so we can squeeze a few more chums round for New Year. I love the wooden chair, made locally and recently gave one to my adorable God son whose 1st Birthday it is today. Min and Gabriel still use theirs and lots of people ask about them - I know that they are completely non Health and Safety but neither of mine have ever fallen out. Jumped, yes, but not fallen.


 Gypsophylia is much underrated if you ask me - pretty, subtle, frothy and inexpensive = perfect flower.
I am wondering about changing my lights - I still love them, but they seem to be everywhere I look now and change is good right?


It's not this tidy anymore - not even close. New blinds in the new year, yippee (and maybe new cushions and rug too, but don't tell Ben).


I LOVE WREATHS - I love how they look, I love making them. This year we have a viburnum wreath which isn't as pretty but was all that I had in the garden. I used my french pruning clippers with leather handles bought at Daylesford which was a JOY. I am a girl of simple pleasures (some might say a simple girl)


Min found this feather and it sits in my memory cupboard now - she is very good at finding things for my 'brochurees' as she says.


again, a 'free' wreath made from ivy found in the lane behind my house - it was hanging from a tree so was long and perfect for winding around the stairs - this was the left over end. THis year someone beat me to the hanging ivy so we are greenery free - apart from Mistletoe!





And some little details........

And so although my house no longer looks this neat or this green, I hope you enjoyed this distinctly Christmassy post. It is snowing here and so it is time to crack open the mulled wine and wrap some pressies.

Merry Christmas to you all - I hope you have a wonderful, relaxing day with the people that mean the most to you.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you thank you thank you...I was one of those who asked for "Border Oak at Christmas" and I am so glad you have posted these. They have made me go all tingly & warm inside, and made feel even more determined that I will have my own Boarder Oak house one day.

    Your pictures are beautiful and such an inspiration to me. Your style seems so effortless, so warm and most importantly so liveable - you have such an understated elegance. I am not sure what it is about beautiful homes styled for Christmas, but they make me happy.

    Thanks again for the pictures, and I am looking forward to lots more posts in 2011!

    Merry Christmas and a happy & healthy New Year to you and yours

    Vicky x

    p.s. I am with you on gypsophila - my bridesmaids carried bouquets of just gypsophila and they were, literally, simply beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely house, fantastic!!
    Wishing you and your family a happy christmas !


    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely pictures thank you. I am in love with your small tripod table, is it from a local furniture maker?

    ReplyDelete